What are the challenges facing County Councils when businesses begin to reopen?
Once businesses begin to reopen, and County Councils decide upon the level of forward forbearance that will be provided to assist with the reopening phase, the biggest challenge will be to reconnect with all business owners and re-establish payments arrangements.
Possibly for the first time, County Councils will need to contact every business on a large scale and in an effective, and efficient manner, as well as manage the added administration of such a large scale operation. Will your operation be contact-less, or contact-more?
At KPI Consulting, we understand that County Councils are very different to Financial Services companies in many ways, especially the overall objectives. However, they have one thing in common….they both share the same customers. And they both want the same thing….ensure that their commercial rates are paid when due, and with the least amount of hassle.
If something is desired, people will find a way to pay. If it’s not, and there’s no incentive, people will find an excuse NOT to pay. But, if it’s easy, and hassle-free, people will pay when due.
To review our services for County Councils, please go here: https://kpiconsultingireland.com/local-authorities
It is important to decide upon a strategy that will utilise the resources of the County Council;
- in the most efficient manner,
- ensuring that communications with businesses are effective, and most of all,
- scheduling payments of rates when required so as to prevent unnecessary arrears
Large scale contact with every business in the county, can be resource heavy;
- Although sending letters is required, follow up telephone calls are more effective for payment collection
- Management of high volume of inbound calls & outbound follow-ups
Ensure payments resume on time;
- Late payments mean unnecessary arrears which will be difficult to remedy
- Administration required for standing orders and other payment methods
- Now is the time to eradicate the use of standing orders and decide upon a more effective method
Review your current communications strategy;
- Inbound & Outbound communication (written & verbal)
- Customer experience improvement
- Remote working
Review your current collections processes;
- Streamline processes
- Implement ‘Council driven’ processes vs ‘credit controller driven’ processes
- Provide collections techniques & staff training
Review your current payment methods;
- Implement easy to pay options
- Create strategies to divert customers to more convenient methods
- Streamline payments process to allow more time concentrating on genuine arrears
Advise on best use of technology for cost–effective contact & collections improvement;
- Are you using the most suitable technology to reduce costs
- Are you aware of what’s available
How can we help?
With over 20 years collections experience in both commercial and consumer markets, and most recently improving the collections performance in Wexford County Council, we can help you with your upcoming collections concerns.
“Now’s the time to future proof”
There has never been a better time to implement new procedures and improve behaviours. The world has adapted to previously unimaginable change, so let’s not return to old ways.
In general, it’s about to become very busy for our local County Councils, and I believe, with planning and preparation, all businesses can be set up efficiently and ready to start paying their rates, when the time is right.
Thank you for reading and if you need any help in relation to your collections planning and activities, please reach out to or call +353 87 328 6335